The RequirementsThe ideal candidate for this role will be a hybrid professional with advanced expertise in benefits, compensation and HRIS.
Additionally, to be a strong fit for this opportunity you will have:
- A bachelor's degree and five (5) years of experience in the management of benefits, compensation, and HR technologies, OR
- A master's degree in human resource management and four (4) years of experience in the management of benefits, compensation and HR technologies, OR
- Any appropriate combination of education and experience.
- Solid understanding of human resources procedures and employment laws necessary to perform functions.
- Experience with acquisitions and integrations.
- A high degree of skill in nonverbal, oral and written communications, including the ability to partner with contacts throughout all levels of the organization.
- A sophisticated ability to identify, define and explain complex HR business problems and the persuasive skills necessary to implement solutions to those problems.
- A considerable level of creativity and innovation.
- Experience in a multi-state environment preferred.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- The ability to coach, mentor and develop your team.
- A commitment to representing our employees' interests.
- Experience managing vendors and external business partners.
- An assertive and confident approach.
- SHRM Certified Professional (SHRM-CP) or Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP).
- Certified Employee Benefits Specialist (CEBS).
The RoleThe Director of Benefits, Compensation and Shared Services is responsible for administration of employee benefits (health/welfare, retirement, and wellness), various leave of absence policies and programs, oversight of HR Information System(s), and the design and administration of compensation programs. As needed, this position provides special guidance and assistance to all locations on various employee benefit plans, integration of new business units (mergers/acquisitions), pay practices for regular, variable, and incentive plans, employee wellness, and best use of HR technologies. The manager surveys industry and/or community to determine the company's competitive position in employee benefits and compensation, and examination of prevailing practices in the applicable areas of responsibility. This position develops and implements new or modified benefit plans and benefits policies, oversees benefits regulatory compliance, supervises administration of benefit plans, oversees design and implementation of compensation programs (base and incentive), employee leave of absence, HR technologies, basic HR call center assistance to employees, and oversees contractual relationships with carriers, service providers, and other vendors. This position develops cost control procedures to assure maximum value at the least possible cost to company and employees.
More specifically, your essential functions will be to:
1. Administer employee benefits programs such as retirement plans; medical, dental, vision plans; life insurance plans; temporary disability programs; and wellness programs.
2. Partner with Payroll and Finance in the administration of HSA, FSA, 401(k), deposits and employer contributions; reporting and file exchanges with insurance and benefit carriers and 401(k) plan administrator; reconciliation of benefit carrier invoices, and calculations of payroll tax withholdings.
3. Oversee HR team members in benefits, wellness, and compensation, HRIS, and fitness/wellness roles; provide for their ongoing learning and development; ensure appropriate documentation of assigned duties and cross-training, etc…
4. Evaluate and compare existing company benefits and compensation with those of other employers by analyzing other plans, surveys and other sources of information. Plan, develop and/or participate in area and industry surveys. Analyze results of surveys and develop specific recommendations for review by management.
5. Develop specifications for new plans or modify existing plans to:
a. Maintain company's competitive position in labor market, and
b. Obtain uniform total rewards package for all company locations, where possible.
6. Install approved new plans or changes to existing plans by preparing announcement materials, plan summary documents and other media for communicating plans to employees. Conduct employee meetings and arrange for enrollment. Advise and counsel management and employees on existing benefits.
7. Prepare and execute, with legal consultation, benefits documentation, such as original and amended plan texts, benefit agreements and insurance policies. Instruct insurance carriers, trustees and other administrative agencies outside the company to effect changes in benefits program. Ensure prompt and accurate compliance.
8. Assure company compliance with provisions of Employee Retirement Income Security Act and the Affordable Care Act. Supervise preparation of reports and applications required by law to be filed with federal and state agencies, such as Internal Revenue Service, Department of Labor, insurance commissioners, and other regulatory agencies. Review and analyze changes to state and federal laws pertaining to benefits, and report necessary or suggested changes to management. Coordinate company benefits with government-sponsored programs.
9. Develop benefits information and statistical and census data for actuaries, insurance carriers and management.
10. Handle benefits and compensation inquiries and complaints to ensure quick, equitable, courteous resolution. Maintain contact in person, and by phone or mail, with hospitals, physicians, insurance companies, employees, and beneficiaries to facilitate proper and complete utilization of benefits for all employees.
11. Partner with Finance to supervise and oversee reporting requirements related to: 401(k), deferred compensation plans, ACA, and other related plans and regulatory agencies.
12. Review and audit funding requirements for: 401(k) savings, medical savings/spending accounts (HSA, FSA), disability payments, etc…
13. Interface with Finance as needed regarding exports of data to the general ledger, calculations of tax gross-up amounts, audits, etc.
Note: this description is intended to give you a general overview of the position and is not an exhaustive listing of duties and responsibilities. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Video: We are passionate about Equian's vision and model, and confident that it can deliver results. But don't just take our word for it! A few of our healthcare clients share how Equian is helping them be more successful.
Why EquianStrategic impact
As we continue to grow through acquisitions, you will play an integral role in converging key HRIS legacy data into our centralized system and helping to integrate benefits for the employees of any company we acquire. We are still in the early stages of the evolution of our benefits and employee wellness functions, making this a great role for a leader who enjoys the strategic process of planning for the future and leading the conversations of costs, best practices and more.
Build a career home
Whatever your background, you will find challenges and rewards in this role and, depending on your ambition and performance, you might pursue other openings within Equian. We work in an industry that is constantly changing and transforming, which will create ongoing opportunities to grow your career at our dynamic organization.
Dynamic new leadership
CIO Rick Fitzgerald recently joined us and, like other Equian leaders, he is promoting a spirit of innovation. "We have a unique opportunity to help our customers realize more value from all of the exciting advances in Big Data, robotics, and machine learning," says Fitzgerald. "I look forward to identifying opportunities with the internal team of experts and customers that will drive our technology agenda forward."
Equian offers a distinctive and rewarding work experience for associates at all phases of their careers -- from workforce newcomers to seasoned professionals. As an industry leader, we seek to attract, develop and retain associates sharing our commitment to innovation, continuous improvement, superior service and professional curiosity.
Strong, growing company
Founded in 2004 through the merger of two medical cost management companies, Equian has grown to become one of the nation's leading companies for healthcare reimbursement analysis and payment integrity. We have been voted one of 40 "Healthcare's Hottest" by Modern Healthcare and have been recognized by Inc. 5000 as one of the fastest growing companies in the United States. We are continuing our growth through acquisition, and intend to keep growing for years to come.
In addition to competitive compensation and performance-based bonus opportunity, Equian offers an outstanding benefits package as well as professional and personal development opportunities that support the goals of every Equian associate. Our benefits include medical, dental, vision, prescription drug and life insurance options; a 401(k) plan with company match; paid time off; flexible spending accounts; tuition assistance; and more.
Video: We asked Equian associates to describe the company in one word.
Keys to SuccessTo excel in this role you will have a foundation of strong HR / Payroll knowledge and the ability to build solid relationships with contacts throughout the organization. For example, you can expect to partner closely with Finance to provide information to the team for the General Ledger and other critical accounting functions. This is a “working” Director role, where we will expect you to provide high-level vision while also jumping into the day-to-day activities when needed.
Additionally, to succeed as Director of Benefits, Compensation and Shared Services here at Equian, you should encompass the following core competencies and characteristics:
- Business Acumen
- Critical Evaluation
- Global & Cultural Awareness
- HR Expertise
- Relationship Management
- Ethical Practice
About UsEquian is a leading provider of technology-enabled, data-driven solutions ensuring payment integrity across the healthcare, workers compensation and property & casualty industries.
One of our nation's most pressing challenges is the rising cost and affordability of healthcare. At Equian, our efforts are dedicated to addressing this challenge. We provide solutions that ensure each healthcare interaction is paid accurately and at the lowest possible cost. We have a proven system to reduce healthcare cost through proprietary data analytics coupled with deep domain expertise. Once we have aligned with you and analyzed all of the data, we provide integrated payment integrity solutions that eliminate unnecessary spending.
With more than 1400 talented professionals working across the country, our people have transformed Equian into the thriving organization it has become today. Our team includes market experts for each industry we serve, so you can be sure we are ready to hit the ground running for you. Equian's team is dedicated to building lasting partnerships with clients. It is simply what we do best
Equian is backed by New Mountain Capital, a leading healthcare investment firm, and is recognized nationally by Inc. Magazine and Modern Healthcare as a leading high-growth company in health care.
Pictured: Quick facts about Equian give you an idea of why we are the provider of choice for innovative payment integrity solutions. Click on the small image to see a larger version.