The RequirementsThe ideal candidate for the role of Human Resources Director will have a broad-based HR background to act as a business partner to our Prepayment Division. Your HR background will be deep and wide enough to serve as a subject-matter expert to leadership, focusing heavily on employee relations and change management in order to inform decisions around culture and organization.
To be a strong fit for the Human Resources Director role, you will have:
- 7+ years of broad HR experience, including particular strength in Employee Relations, including experience completing investigations and Performance Improvement Plans.
Additional experience in many of the following:
- Compensation (highly preferred), benefits, health & wellness, leave administration, HRIS, records & compliance, talent acquisition, diversity & inclusion, Affirmative Action planning, career development, community involvement, performance management, engagement, culture, leadership development, organizational diagnostics and recognition.
- A bachelor's degree required; master's degree preferred.
- SHRM Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP) or SHRM Certified Professional (SHRM-CP) credential preferred.
- Experience supporting multiple locations; experience working in a fast-growth company preferred.
- Experience with acquisitions and change management.
- Proven experience engaging in high-level discussions and supporting leaders through coaching, training, feedback, and insightful recommendations.
- Demonstrated success in developing and implementing change initiatives and leveraging change management fundamentals.
- Ability to travel between locations as required (approximately 10%).
- Healthcare industry experience is helpful, but not required.
- Excellent relationship management and communication skills to work directly with leadership, employees and peers.
- Proven consultation skills to work with and influence leaders.
- An honest and ethical approach to your work.
- Excellent leadership skills.
- Disposition to thrive and excel in a growing, fast-paced environment.
The RoleOpportunity Snapshot
Reporting to the SVP Human Resources, as Human Resources Director, you will be responsible for the overall administration, coordination and evaluation of the human resources function across three locations -- Montgomery, AL, Golden, CO and Des Moines, IA. Whether seated at Montgomery or Golden, you will enjoy nice offices and work at a site acquired through acquisition. Your mission will be to act as business partner to division leadership, influencing decisions around restructuring, acquisition activity and more. Initially, you will work heavily on cultural integration but you will also support comprehensive HR functions across the division.
In addition to your divisional responsibilities, you will work in tandem with your supervisor and peers on key initiatives. For example, HR Directors cover three divisions including Data Mining and IT, Subrogation (Post-payment) and Prepayment. Together, you will all focus on compensation.
Three locations and a total client group of 200+ make up the Prepayment Division (approximately 100 in Golden, 80 in Montgomery and 25 in Des Moines). You will primarily work in Montgomery or Golden but will support the other locations electronically, via phone, email, WebEx etc. You will also travel as needed (typically once every 2-3 months) to the other two sites. In performing your responsibilities, you will:
- Provide vision, leadership, planning, project coordination and management for the development of a cost-effective department in the business areas included in the scope of your assignment.
- Concurrently facilitates efficient operations to meet current and future business needs within the HR organization.
- Ensure continuity and successful delivery of functional services to users throughout the organization.
- Foster and maintain positive relationships with HR staff and customer base; serve as an interface between internal/external customers and functional team members to ensure effective definition and delivery of services.
- Provide overall prioritization of work assignments and management of functional team resources and their activities.
- Promote proactive approaches to solve business needs/problems, while also enhancing the understanding and acceptance of HR capabilities.
- Build and maintain a strong functional team of direct and indirect reports through effective recruiting, training, coaching, team building and succession planning.
- Initiate and lead HR staff development plans for each team member. Assess the skills and skill levels necessary to achieve work objectives.
- Annually review and make recommendations to executive HR leadership for the improvement of the organization's policies, procedures and practices on personnel matters.
- Maintain knowledge of industry trends, employment legislation and organization compliance with federal, state and local legislation pertaining to all personnel matters.
- Communicate changes in the organization's personnel policies and procedures and support the implementation of changes.
- Assist executive management in the annual review, preparation and administration of the organization's wage and salary program.
- Assist leadership in the administration of annual performance evaluations, performance plans, and other related performance documentation.
- Utilize data associated with turnover to analyze organizational trends and forecasts.
- Work directly with department leadership to assist in creating and implementing personnel strategies.
- Investigate employee concerns and employee relations issues.
- Recommend, evaluate and participate in staff development and succession planning for high potentials throughout the organization.
- Participate on committees and special projects and seek additional responsibilities.
More Good ReasonsInfluence & Impact
As we continue to grow (typically 15% - 20% per year), your role and team will grow along with us. You will play a critical role in employee relations and drive cultural acclimation. We are still evolving many HR functions and programs so there will be multiple areas where you can make an impact. For example, if you have a background in compensation you'll be involved with our compensation initiative right off the bat.
Build a Career Home
You can enjoy challenges and rewards in this role for years to come. At the same time, if you want to continue to grow your career, we anticipate additional opportunities for our proven performers. Some opportunities would require relocation. If you're ready to build your career within the recession resistant healthcare industry, with a company that will support you over the long haul, this role could be your perfect fit.
CIO Rick Fitzgerald recently joined us and, like other Equian leaders, he is promoting a spirit of innovation. "We have a unique opportunity to help our customers realize more value from all of the exciting advances in big data, robotics, and machine learning," says Fitzgerald. "I look forward to identifying opportunities with the internal team of experts and customers that will drive our technology agenda forward."
Strong, Growing Company
Founded in 2004 through the merger of two medical cost management companies, Equian has grown to become one of the nation's leading companies for healthcare reimbursement analysis and payment integrity. We have been voted one of 40 "Healthcare's Hottest" by Modern Healthcare and have been recognized by Inc. 5000 as one of the fastest growing companies in the United States. We are continuing our growth through acquisition, and intend to keep growing for years to come.
Equian offers a distinctive and rewarding work experience for associates at all phases of their careers -- from workforce newcomers to seasoned professionals. As an industry leader, we seek to attract, develop and retain associates sharing our commitment to innovation, continuous improvement, superior service and professional curiosity. This is the culture that you'll help bring to the Prepayment Division.
In addition to competitive compensation and performance-based bonus opportunity, Equian offers an outstanding benefits package as well as professional and personal development opportunities that support the goals of every Equian associate. Our benefits include medical, dental, vision, prescription drug and life insurance options; a 401(k) plan with company match; paid time off; flexible spending accounts; tuition assistance; and more.
Keys to SuccessIf you're most comfortable in HR environments where the heavy lifting is complete and maintenance is king, this is not the role for you. If, however, you're a high-energy person who enjoys the challenges of an evolving organization and HR function -- an environment requiring the combination of a strategic mindset and hands-on approach -- you're someone who could thrive and make an impact at Equian. To excel in the role of Human Resources Director, you will:
- First, take the time to build relationships and earn the trust of the Prepayment Division's management team, as well as with the larger HR organization.
- Take a collaborative approach to building HR strategy, while also acting independently within your division.
- Maintain a "leaders eat last" philosophy -- we build together.
- Earn credibility with the employees across your three sites in order to advance cultural integration. You won't step into any major projects initially and will have time to focus heavily on employee relations.
About EquianEquian is a leading provider of technology-enabled, data-driven solutions ensuring payment integrity across the healthcare, workers compensation and property & casualty industries.
One of our nation's most pressing challenges is the rising cost and affordability of healthcare. At Equian, our efforts are dedicated to addressing this challenge. We provide solutions that ensure each healthcare interaction is paid accurately and at the lowest possible cost. We have a proven system to reduce healthcare cost through proprietary data analytics coupled with deep domain expertise. Once we have aligned with you and analyzed all of the data, we provide integrated payment integrity solutions that eliminate unnecessary spending.
With more than 1400 talented professionals working across the country, our people have transformed Equian into the thriving organization it has become today. Our team includes market experts for each industry we serve, so you can be sure we are ready to hit the ground running for you. Equian's team is dedicated to building lasting partnerships with clients. It is simply what we do best
Equian is backed by New Mountain Capital, a leading healthcare investment firm, and is recognized nationally by Inc. Magazine and Modern Healthcare as a leading high-growth company in health care.
Video: Equian team members share their thoughts around why the company is enjoying ongoing strong growth.